Thursday, June 30, 2011

We're Texans again y'all!

Hey y'all! Its my first blog post from Texas! And no I haven't changed the name of my blog because 1) it makes me sad, and 2) I'm lazy.
I also haven't been writing on the blog since I've been here, mostly for the same reasons. Also because we had the movers from hell and we couldn't leave Boston for the last minute and I started my program right after we got in two weeks ago. Moving is horrible. Horrible horrible horrible. And anyone that says any different is no friend of mine. They should hang out with the people that don't swear and smile constantly.
But we are here, and I have to say, its good to be back. One thing though people... the heat. Oh hellfire and damnation, the HEAT. Today it was one hundred degrees. ONE HUNDRED DEGREES. Its been about the same since we arrived. Aside from that though, its been good. We got to hang out with our friends the Todds (2 guys named Todd that are near and dear to us,) my good gal pal Ali, and we had dinner and drinks with our friends Sean and Haley last weekend. Its so good to see them all again. I can't explain it, but its like it makes my heart feel good to see our good friends that we haven't seen in awhile, and without the rush of a weekend home from Boston trying to see as many people as possible in 1-2 days.  I'm still missing my best gal-pal Haify, but hopefully I'll get to see her soon.
I love my program, my co-residents are great, non-gunner-ish well adjusted people. And funny enough every single person in my class is married, all 11 of us. And there are only 3 girls, which is sort of unusual for a pediatric dentistry program. The other two girls are awesome and thusly we band together against the testosterone. Seriously though, all of the guys are really great too. We're still mostly in orientation mode and starting to transition into the various hospitals and community clinics where we'll be working, so they're trying to go easy on us in the beginning. It seems like its going to be challenging, so I'm looking forward to it. I have to admit though, I'm a little intimidated about working at some sites because the patients there are very fragile. Thankfully we have wonderful attendings and experienced staff. The other day a patient I was working with in one of the hospitals started to cry. Usually I have a mental behavior management flowchart to follow for when that happens while I'm working with kids, but let me tell you, its different when its not a typical child. I sort of felt sorry for her when she came in because of her condition, and I froze when she got upset. My heart broke. I was like, God, doesn't she have to deal with enough crap and now she's scared in my chair. Thankfully the dental assistant was the bomb and talked her out of her worries and we finished up no problem. I have to get a handle on myself and not pity these patients. They don't need my pity, they need me to be their dentist. And that's about all I have to say about that.
 Anyway y'all, its good to be back on the blog. More to come on the move and our current events. I hope you're all having a great week.

No comments:

Post a Comment